Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Under the Knife

In five days I will be tumour free, that is if the cancer hasn't spread.  My breast surgeon will be planning a lumpectomy and a sentinal node biospy.  I will be having sentinal node dye injections prior to the surgery to outline the affected tissue and which lymphnodes will be removed to biopsy.

For the lumpectomy they will be removing the cancerous tissue and a 10mm margin surrounding the tissue. What we are hoping for is a clear margin in the surrounding tissue so I do not need another surgery to remove more tissue and it also means they get it all if the margins are clear. I will have about a 3 inch scar from the lumpectomy on the upper outter quadrant of my left breast. The surgeon also told me I will most likely have an indent from where the tissue was removed.

The sentinal node biopsy is to remove 3-5 lymphnodes from my left armpit so they can be tested for malignancy. I had my ultrasound yesterday and they said the lymphnodes look clear they are still oval shaped with the fatty hylium which apparently is very positive.

I am hoping for the best with the surgery, and I pray for good news. Surely I have had enough bad news through all of this and the good news can start pouring in...really I welcome ANY good news. They are hoping to release me from the hospital in a day or two, the sooner the better. I am confident I will heal quickly. I am young healthy and ready to heal!! Bring it on, the sooner this is over the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment